When looking at upgrade options for a Toshiba laptop, you will find that upgrading the laptop memory is likely to have the greatest impact on the overall performance. Programs store their data in RAM when they are running. If multiple programs are open at once and the laptop runs out of free memory, it must begin using the hard drive to store and retrieve the extra data. Since hard drives are much slower than RAM, this results in slower performance. Upgrading memory allows users to run more programs with fewer slowdowns and speed up operating system load time.
Replacing your Toshiba laptop memory is one of the simplest upgrades to make. The basic steps are as follows:
- Disconnect the AC adapter and remove the battery to ensure no power is going to the laptop. This reduces any risk of electric shock when disassembling the machine. The battery is most often removed by sliding the battery slider and removing the battery.
- Locate the memory access panel on the bottom of the machine. It is usually marked with an icon that resembles a memory stick. In some cases it may be located behind the battery. If you have trouble locating this panel, consult your manual or a service manual for the exact location.
- Remove any screws securing the memory access panel in place and remove it.
- Gently release the two fingers holding the memory stick on each side and it should swing upwards. Carefully pull it out of the slot. Repeat for the second stick if there is one.
- Place the new memory stick in the lower slot and snap it down into place. Repeat for the upper memory stick if there is one.
- Replace the memory access panel and screws.
- Replace the battery and reconnect the AC adapter. Boot up the computer and test that the full amount of memory is recognized by the computer.
At this point, if the memory is recognized and the laptop is working properly, you are finished. If you are having trouble you may want to check that you selected the proper memory module for your machine, or the possibility that the memory is not seated completely in the slot.